How to lower your exposure to EMF
We are exposed to such a wide variety of electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog) these days, it’s just about impossible to avoid it. A lot of us are wondering how to do this most effectively and what are the worst offenders.
Ten tips to reduce your exposure:
- Electrical equipment and electronics: Add some distance between yourself and power cords, electrical equipment and electronic devices. 1 meter distance is best. Don’t forget the distance of your feet from power bars. Sit back from your computer. Unplug your computer at night if it’s in your bedroom.
- WiFi: Instead of WiFi, use ethernet as much as possible. Turn off WiFi when not in use. You can either unplug it or simply access the wireless router’s console from your browser to turn it off (and on when needed). The usual IP address for your router’s console is 192.168.2.1 and in the case of the Bell 2Wire modem, the address is sometimes gateway.2wire.net . Get used to “wired” Internet access, and use Wi-Fi sparingly. Even a Macbook Air can be fitted with an Ethernet Adapter (about $20).
- Cell Phones: Come up with a “cell phone off strategy” that works for your personal and professional lifestyle. Many of us can’t keep them off all the time. But even if you decide to have your phone in airplane mode 50% of the time, that’s 50% better than not at all. Make sure WiFi is off as well. Text instead of talk. Use the speaker phone when talking. Some headphones reduce electromagnetic radiation, but you’ll need to test them with an EMF meter. Don’t hold the phone to your head. Don’t keep the phone on your belt or in in a pocket.
- Cordless Phones: Discard them. Replace with corded landlines. The new DECT phones emit high levels of constant microwave radiation, even when not being used.
- Home or Office Wiring: There is high frequency pollution in your electrical wiring. It needs to be dramatically reduced. The best way to do this is to have STETZERiSER filters installed in your home (an average of 2 per room). We can do this for you. Note: do not sleep or work near your building’s electrical panel. Keep at least 3 meters away.
- Smart Meters: Ask your utility to have your wireless smart meter wired or replaced with a wired model. If unsuccessful, have us install a smart meter shield set and a set of STETZERiSER filters*. Don’t sleep in a room near the location of the smart meter.
- Bedroom Sleeping Practices: You spend a third of your life in the bedroom. Make sure it’s EMF-clean. Follow the steps above that relate to electrical and electronic equipment, WiFi, phones, etc. And be sure to move your clock radio at least 1 meter from your head, and preferably across the room. Don’t use wireless Baby Monitors. Replace your metal lamp with wood or ceramic or unplug the lamp and move it away from your body. Consider turning off the power to your bedroom at the electrical panel for a better night’s sleep. More on how to get a good night’s sleep.
- Workspace Practices: Follow the applicable tips above and work with fluorescent tube lighting turned off. Remove CFL (compact fluorescent bulbs) from your workspace. Use LED lights (the type that don’t use transformers) incandescent light bulbs where possible. Suggestion: Have one of our EMF technicians come to your workplace (or home) and test the EMF levels. You won’t know until you have the electrical, magnetic and high frequency readings measured and interpreted for you. You should have values less than 1 milliGauss for magnetic fields; 5 V/m for power frequency electric fields; 40 – 50 GS units for dirty electricity; 0.01 microW/cm2 for wireless radiation; 0.5 V for ground current at 60 Hz; and 10 mV for kHz ground current.
- Consider Shielding: There are many EMF mitigation techniques available to us. CONTACT US HERE TO DISCUSS.
- Power Lines: What is a safe distance from power lines? Have us come and measure the magnetic and electrical readings from the power lines near your home or office. In research carried out at Oxford University, it was discovered that children who had lived within 200 m of high voltage lines at birth had a 70% higher risk of leukaemia than those 600 m or more away. More about power lines here.
A General Health Tip: Keep fit and eat well. Exercise, get fresh air, eat fresh organic foods, take plant-based supplements because most of us don’t get enough nutrients for optimal health in our modern diet. And learn to have a relaxed attitude. You’ll live a healthier life and your body will be better equipped to cope with EMF exposure!
* GS filters are tuned capacitors that reduce high frequency voltages (transients) on electrical wires. They protect sensitive electronic equipment. Studies show they also reduce symptoms of electro-hypersensitivity. GS filters should be installed with proper monitoring (microsurge meter) to ensure levels are sufficiently low for maximum benefit.
By Paul Singer, EMF consultant
☞ CONTACT US HERE
We perform EMF inspections in Toronto, GTA, Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, North of Toronto, up the Hwy 11 corridor to North Bay and across Ontario.
Special arrangements can be made for other areas in Ontario and remote consultations available across the U.S., Canada, and world-wide by means of our unique REMOTE HOUSECHECK service.